The New Year is almost here - why not ring it in with some sweet and salty bacon wrapped shrimp in a bourbon brown sugar glaze?
This is definitely not your traditional bacon wrapped shrimp!
I shook it up a little with a brown sugar and bourbon glaze because we are still in that time period between Christmas and New Years where calories don't count and everything should be just a little bit fancier than it otherwise would be.
This little guys would be a perfect NYE appetizer, but they'd also be right at home next to your favorite grilled steak, or on their own as a main course served over a fresh salad or some Carolina Gold Rice.
You can't really go wrong when serving them.
The glaze on these shrimp isn't super thick or heavy, most of the bourbon cooks off and leaves just a thin layer that is bursting with flavor.
Still, best to serve these with toothpicks to avoid any messy fingers if serving as an appetizer.
Other easy appetizers you might like:
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Brown Sugar Bourbon Glaze
- 1 lb extra large shrimp about 26 shrimp
- 6 pieces thick cut bacon cut into thirds
Brown Sugar Bourbon Glaze
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.Prepare a baking sheet with edges by lining it in foil for easy cleanup later. The edges are necessary on the pan to prevent the glaze from spilling into the oven as the shrimp cook.Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails on.
- Combine all ingredients for the glaze in a small bowl.Wrap each shrimp with 1/3 of a slice of bacon, dip it into the glaze in the bowl, and then place it on the pan with the cut ends of the bacon underneath the shrimp so it doesn't unravel.
- Bake for 6 minutes. Flip. Bake for another 4 minutes, or until bacon is browned and edges are crispy.
- For extra crisp, broil for 2 minutes.