Last Updated on
Comin' at you hot with a new boneless, skinless chicken recipe to kick off 2020 right! This Caprese Chicken is covered in pesto, sliced of fresh tomato, then fresh mozzarella cheese and baked to bubbly perfection.
Do it up fancy and drizzle some balsamic vinegar reduction on top ( in the words of the great Ina, "if you don't have homemade, store bought is fine!")
Did you know that Basil & Bubbly is named after my two favorite things??? Basil Pesto and Champagne!
I cook with pesto all the time -- I add it to everything from pasta to sandwiches to sauces, or of course enjoy it on its own. This pesto chicken with tomato and mozzarella is one of my favorite ways to use basil pesto with a meat, and makes for an easy low carb chicken dinner that only takes ONE pan and an episode of Frasier in the oven.
Easy prep, easy serving, easy cleanup.
Mozzarella and Tomatoes and Pesto on a chicken breast, where have you been all my life?
Bonus: baking the tomatoes saves those less than stellar Winter tomatoes, and turns even the surliest, mealiest tomato into a warm, delicate, pesto-y delight.
Speaking of, when you are buying tomatoes in Winter, go for the ones still attached to the vine like in the picture above. I find they tend to be the best this time of year.
Avoid the big, red beefsteak ones like the plague. They are the top mealy, tasteless offenders in my experience.
Key component here: the GOOD mozzarella cheese.
I mean, you can make this with that 8 ounce tasteless brick, but the fresh mozzarella balls make for a stringy-er, gooey-er, richer experience. They are also a little pricey though, so no judgement from me if you go with the brick cheese - just making sure you know that the fresh cheese really does add a lot to the texture, richness, and flavor of this dish.
Plus, I really really like having fresh mozz in the house. Inevitably there will be a piece leftover for me to snack on while assembling dinner! SCORE!
Okay, so we've got this super simple one-pan chicken dinner ready to go. You could absolutely serve this on its own ( meat, tomato, cheese, all in one! ) buuuut what if you want something else?
What sides go with pesto chicken?
Good ol' pasta tossed in fresh pesto is a great option here, but if you want to keep it low carb, these are some other great options:
- Whipped Cauliflower
- Zoodles tossed in pesto
- Roasted broccoli
Other Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Recipes You Might Love:
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast 3 chicken breasts
- 3 Tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes sliced
- 6 ounces Fresh Mozzarella Cheese sliced
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic glaze optional
- 3 leaves fresh basil leaves torn into pieces
- 3 Quart Baking Dish
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Place the three chicken breasts in a large, broiler and oven safe baking dish. Cover each breast with 1 tablespoon of pesto, 3 slices of tomato, and 2 slices of mozzarella.
- Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes.Turn on the broiler and broil for 2 - 3 minutes, or until cheese starts to brown and bubble.
- Remove from oven, drizzle with balsamic glaze and top with fresh basil.