This post may contain affiliate links. I make a small commission if you make a purchase using one of those links, at no extra cost to you.
All the flavor, none of the pesky rolling: chicken burrito bowls are a great way to give new life to leftovers in your fridge, or make from scratch for meal prep.
I love a good burrito, but I gotta tell you, even though I'm not one to watch my calories like a hawk, I have always found it painful to expend 200 - 500 of them on a tortilla alone. Combine that with my love of using up whatever's already mostly ready in my fridge, and you can probably figure out that chicken burrito bowls are a popular pick for me!
Are burrito bowls healthy?
Okay, so you aren't getting tons of starchy and calories from the tortilla, but a chicken and rice burrito bowl is still largely going to be "healthy" or "not healthy" based on what else you put on it.
Smother it in cheese and sour cream? Ehhhh probably not the best if you ask your cardiologist.
Heavier on the lettuce than the rice plus adding some fresh avocado or guac and some pico de gallo? Sounds light and delicious!
But you do you. What I've got listed in this recipe is my balance of the two.
easy chicken burrito bowl recipe
Making this your own is really what makes it such an easy recipe. Don't have pico? Use salsa or diced tomatoes with a squeeze of lime.
Is the half avocado in your fridge that survived yesterday's avocado toast ready to turn brown at any moment? Slice it up and add it!
I'm telling you - this is NOT a recipe to stress over. Think of it instead as inspiration to pile some deliciousness into a bowl and top it with your favorite salsa or sauce.
Chicken Burrito Bowl Meal Prep
Chicken burrito bowls are also one of my FAVORITE meal prep recipes. Make the cilantro lime rice and grill up some cilantro lime chicken, then fill up your meal prep containers ( I LOVE these glass ones ) with your favorite toppings and enjoy an effortless meal for days after.
Some recipes to help you make chicken burrito bowls:
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Pico de Gallo
- ½ cup rice Cilantro Lime Rice is my favorite - see link to recipe above this recipe
- ¼ cup black beans
- 1 dash cumin
- ¼ cup shredded romaine
- 1 grilled chicken breast Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken preferred - link to recipe above this recipe - but plain grilled chicken works too.
- 1 Tablespoon pico de gallo
- 2 Tablespoon shredded cheese I like pepper jack or extra sharp cheddar
- 1 Tablespoon sour cream feel free to substitute greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons guacamole optional
- 1 lime wedge
- In a medium bowl, mix the black beans and dash of cumin. Scoop the beans over to one side of the bowl, and add the rice to the empty side. Layer the romaine and chicken breast on top.
- Top with pico de gallo, shredded cheese, and sour cream. Add guacamole if desired. Serve with a lime wedge.