Ditch the packet and make this homemade taco seasoning the next time you want tacos! Have glorious total control over exactly what goes into your food, all the while saving money.
To loosely paraphrase Michael Scott from The Office, “what we want is win, win, win!”
I keep a jar of this stuff on hand at all times, because I am taco obsessed and love having a homemade shortcut at the ready.
What is taco seasoning made of?
The basic flavors are:
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- chile flakes
Does taco seasoning have MSG in it?
It depends on the brand! However, if you make it yourself using my copycat taco seasoning recipe, you know exactly what ingredients go into it.
How much taco seasoning is in a packet?
There are about 2 tablespoons of seasoning in 1 packet.
How much taco seasoning do I need for 1 pound of meat?
For one pound of raw meat, you’ll want to brown it, then add water and 2 to 3 tablespoons of seasoning.
How much water do I add to taco seasoning?
A good ratio to follow is per 1 pound of raw ground meat, you want to add 1 cup of water, and then the seasoning.
Can you add taco seasoning to cooked ground beef?
Yep. Put 3/4 of a pound of cooked ground beef in a pan and turn the heat to medium high. Add 1 cup of water and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the water begins to simmer ( whichever happens first). Then stir in two to three tablespoons of my DIY taco seasoning mix.
What is the difference between taco seasoning and fajita seasoning?
Taco seasoning tends to have a punch of flavor from a heavy dose of chile powder and other strong flavors. While fajita seasoning may still have similar flavors, they are often used more sparingly in the mix and can include citrus to keep the flavors a little fresher.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1.5 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon corn starch (optional, for thickening)
- Shake all ingredients vigorously in a sealed jar to combine thoroughly.
- To Use: Cook 1 lb ground meat in a skillet over medium heat until browned/ nearly fully cooked. Add 2 Tablespoons of Taco Seasoning and 1 cup of water to the pan. Stir to combine. Simmer over medium low heat until water reduces and forms a coating with the spice around the meat.