A fresh, crisp, and filling chilled salad that is a perfect side for grilling or roasted meats: Broccolini Salad. No mayo anywhere to be seen in this healthy side!
What is broccolini?
First off - it is NOT Broccoli Rabe. Broccoli Rabe looks very very similar, if not the same, but is very bitter. Broccolini is mildly flavored and not bitter at all.
Broccolini is a mix between good ol' fashioned broccoli and Chinese Broccoli. It actually isn't "baby broccoli" at all ( sorry, quirky grocery chain from California. You guys are totally mislabeling that stuff.)
The texture is VERY crunchy, making it the perfect based for a chilled summer salad.
How do you cut broccolini?
Trim off the bottom ⅓ of the stem. If any pieces of the stem are wider than ½", cut them in half lengthwise. This will ensure evenly cooked and equally tender pieces.
Ingredients in broccolini salad
- White Beans
- Red Onion (although sweet onion is good too if red isn't your jam)
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice
- Sliced Almonds
Did you notice something reading the list? This recipe is VEGAN. And totally accidentally. So if you're looking for an easy vegan side dish that the omnivores will love too, this is a great choice!
If you like this broccolini salad recipe, you might also like:
- Roasted Broccolini with Crispy Breadcrumbs
- Grilled Broccoli
- Corn and Tomato Salad
- Broccoli Crunch Salad
- 2 bunches of broccolini bottom ⅓ of ends trimmed and extra large stems cut in half lengthwise
- 1 15 oz can of cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup finely sliced red onion
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup toasted sliced almonds
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans, red onion, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper and toss to combine. Refrigerate while making the rest of the salad.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccolini and boil for 2 - 3 minutes. Immediately drain the broccolini and add to a large bowl full of ice water. This will keep the broccoli beautiful and bright green, and stop the cooking process so they do not get mushy.
- Remove the broccolini from the ice bath and pat dry. Place on a large serving platter. Spoon the marinated bean mixture over the broccolini. Drizzle any dressing remaining in the bowl on top of the broccolini. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve as is or make in advance and serve chilled.