Here's my BEST reuben sandwich recipe to help you use up all of your leftover corned beef from St. Patrick's Day festivities!
If you've ever wondered how to make a reuben sandwich just like the kind from your local deli, look no further. I make these EVERY YEAR after St. Patrick's day and they are always a huge hit.
what is a reuben sandwich?
If you aren't already familiar, a reuben sandwich is a toasted sandwich with corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Russian dressing.
What's the origin of the reuben?
This is a highly debated topic! Found in delis around the country, no one is quite sure where it began. There are rumors of it being from everywhere from Omaha, Nebraska to New York City!
What's on a Reuben Sandwich?
Here's a quicklist of reuben sandwich ingredients for your grocery shopping:
- Corned Beef (sliced from the deli, or leftover corned beef if you've already cooked one at home)
- Swiss Cheese
- Rye Bread (seeded, unseeded, or my favorite, marbled)
- Dressing (my favorite reuben sauce is homemade Russian dressing, but if you can't make or find that, you can use Thousand Island in a real pinch)
- Butter (to toast the sandwich)
How do you layer a Reuben Sandwich?
Start with a slice of bread, then slather on Russian Dressing. Add a slice of cheese, a pile of corned beef, and a thin layer of sauerkraut. Top with one more piece of cheese and another piece of bread.
What to serve with Reuben Sandwiches?
- French Fries
- Potato Chips
- Mustardy Potato Salad
- A fresh green salad ( for contrast! )
You might also like these other recipes:
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 Tablespoon butter softened ( not melted )
- 2-3 Tablespoons Russian Dressing
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- ⅓ lb sliced corned beef in a Reuben, it's best to measure the meat with your heart and not your scale. I like ⅓ lb but you can easily go with more.
- ¼ cup sauerkraut squeezed of excess moisture
- Spread a thin layer of butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Slather the other side of each piece of bread with Russian Dressing.
- Place one slice of cheese on each slice of bread.
- On one piece of bread, arrange the corned beef slices.
- On the other, place the sauerkraut in an even layer.
- Place the pieces together to form a sandwich.
- In a heavy bottomed skillet over medium low heat, cook the sandwich on each side for approximately 4 minutes, or until each side is browned and the cheese is melting.
reuben sandwich calories
Do you really want to know?
The calories can vary a ton based on preparation, but for this recipe, the calories come in right at 900.
Please share your thoughts on this recipe!