This is one of those easy cabbage recipes that practically puts itself on the dinner table. I'm a big fan of simple vegetable dishes any time of the year, but this one is a particularly good option for a St Patrick's Day side dish to go with corned beef.
I'll be the first one to admit ( okay, maybe second, because I'm pretty sure my mother would be really quick to point this out as well ), that we didn't eat a lot of Irish foods in my house growing up.
In fact, I think the closest I ever came to Irish food in the house was walking past the bottle of Jameson that collected dust in my parents' liquor cabinet under the bookcases.
Due to that, I want to be really clear that I'm not here saying this is some perfectly authentic Irish Cabbage Recipe.
It's just ... my cabbage recipe. The one I make when I want the cabbage to shine. The one I make when I want something low in calories but warm and munchy and delicious to go with a cut of meat for dinner.
My easy sauteed cabbage recipe is a little lighter than other ones I've found online. Dare I say ...
a healthy cabbage recipe?
Healthy enough, I suppose! I keep it light with olive oil, a punch of flavor from garlic and black pepper, and the rest my friends, is up to the cabbage. So if you love cabbage and want to know how to make it, this is a great starting place!
how to saute cabbage
It's simple enough - add oil to a hot pan. Once the oil has heated up, add a small amount of cabbage to the pan. After that has cooked for a few minutes, add the rest of the cabbage, along with your spices/salt/flavors ( I love garlic), and the rest of the cabbage. Reduce the heat, and stir it occasionally until all of the cabbage is cooked through.
Make sure to check out my Baked Corned Beef recipe as well. It goes great with this cabbage recipe!
Simple Sautéed Cabbage
- 1 head green cabbage small to medium sized
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper ground
- Set a large sauté pan with high sides or a sauce pan over medium high heat. Once the pan has heated up, add the olive oil.
- Let the olive oil warm up in the pan for about 30 seconds, and then carefully add half of the cabbage to the pan and stir. Cook the cabbage for about 4 minutes, or until it begins to brown.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, add the rest of the cabbage, ¼ cup of water, the salt, pepper, and garlic, and stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, about 8 minutes for the cabbage to be tender but still have a bite.