Last Updated on
This post is sponsored by Filippo Berio. As always, I only work with brands I love and use in my own kitchen, and all opinions are my own.
If you are looking for an easy vegetarian appetizer that won’t weigh you down this Thanksgiving, this mushroom toast with goat cheese is exactly what you’ll want to make!
This is truly my favorite kind of recipe – simple, quality ingredients that come together to make something magical.
Bonus: you can toast the bread, make the mushrooms, and then assemble everything in a jiffy right before your guests arrive.
Once you’ve learned how to make this delicious sauté of mushrooms, you’ll want to put it on everything, not just your holiday appetizers! I love it tossed into pasta, as a topper for steak, and even with a little warmed pita bread and grilled chicken for an easy dinner.
If you want to get really fancy, you can blend a little Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil into the goat cheese to give it a silky smooth texture and a little extra flavor before spreading, but I like to keep it simple and let the garlicky herby oil from the mushrooms drizzle down onto the goat cheese for a little contrast, keeping the dry freshness of the goat cheese intact.
In case you haven’t already noticed, mushrooms are one of my very favorite foods! They are so meaty and hearty, and there are so many cool varieties to learn about.
I mix it up here with two garden variety mushrooms: White Button and Baby Bellas, plus some shiitake mushrooms for a slightly different flavor and texture, but you can use whatever mushrooms your local grocery store has available. I have made this recipe with quite a few different types and it always comes out amazingly!
I also realllllly love the earthy flavor of thyme with mushrooms, but a little bit of fresh rosemary with the presentation of your mushroom toasts with goat cheese give it a holiday flare.
Thyme and rosemary are the only two herbs I seem to be able to keep alive in my garden, so I use them often in all of my cooking!
What are your favorite holiday appetizer recipes?
Tell me all about them in the comments!
Mushroom Toast with Goat Cheese
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms sliced thinly
- 8 ounces white mushrooms sliced thinly
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced thinly
- leaves from two stems of thyme
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 1 french baguette cut into 1/2" slices
- 10 ounces fresh chevre goat cheese
- micro greens optional ( garnish )
- Place the baguette slices on a sheet pan. Brush or drizzle approximately 1/4 cup of Filippo Berio olive oil over the baguette slices. Broil on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, watching closely so that you can remove the slices as soon as they brown.
- Set a skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, and stir in the shiitake mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms until they soften, approximately 6 minutes. Remove the cooked mushrooms from the pan and set aside. Repeat for the white mushrooms, followed by the baby bella mushrooms.
- Once all mushrooms are cooked, add another Tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, plus add all of the cooked mushrooms back into the pan, along with the salt, pepper, leaves of thyme, and the minced garlic. Stir to combine, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- On each slice of baguette, spread goat cheese, and top with the cooked mushroom mixture. Garnish with micro greens if desired.