Easy thai green curry chicken and vegetables can be made with ingredients found at most grocery stores around the country. This recipe is a close approximation to the classic green curry from the restaurant, without any unnecessary trips to speciality stores or expensive online ordering.
how do I make Thai green curry chicken
This is the easiest weeknight-friendly way to make a green curry dish:
- simmer premade green curry paste and coconut milk
- add vegetables and cook down
- add chicken and simmer until cooked
what do you serve with Thai green curry
Green curry can be served on its own or over rice.
what alcohol goes with Thai green curry
Some may say I'm biased, but champagne is absolutely delightful with a nice spicy curry of any type, and this green curry is no exception.
what's in thai green curry
- Thai Green Curry Paste - for this recipe I use the jarred kind, but there are some great canned options and homemade recipes on the internet!
- coconut milk
- kaffir lime leaves
- chicken ( for my version - you can absolutely make a vegan or vegetarian version without it )
- vegetables - a more traditional take would have Japanese eggplant, but as those can be very hard to find in certain parts of the country, I substitute zucchini
- fish sauce - don't leave it out. It adds an umami aspect that this dish needs!
is green curry spicy?
Traditionally, yes! This recipe relies on a premade Green Curry Paste though, so you will be at the mercy of the base spice of whichever past you choose. Thai Kitchen's version is readily available in stores around the country, and is relatively mild. When I use it, I often add extra spice to this recipe for a real kick.
if you like this thai green curry with chicken and vegetables, you might also like:
- 14 ounces Coconut Milk not light
- ¼ cup Green Curry Paste
- 6 Dried Kaffir Lime Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Lemongrass Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger grated, or can sub equal part Ginger Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- ⅔ lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts very thinly sliced
- 1 Zucchini sliced roughly ¼" thick
- 4 ounces Mushrooms sliced roughly ¼" thick
- ¼ cup Thai Basil
- Shake the can of coconut milk vigorously before opening it.Add the coconut milk and green curry paste to a deep sauce pan or skillet and simmer over medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Stir the lime leaves, lemongrass paste, ginger, sugar, and fish sauce into to the green curry coconut milk mixture. Stir in the zucchini and mushrooms. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium low and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.Add the raw chicken, stirring to coat in the sauce. Cook uncovered for another 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the lime leaves.Stir in the Thai Basil and turn off the heat.
- Serve over jasmine rice with a wedge of lime.