A fun, patriotic appetizer recipe great for the 4th of July: Beet and Potato Chips with a rich, creamy Blue Cheese sauce on top!
This sauce is inspired by the one from the Blue Cheese Chips at the Buckhead Diner in Atlanta, GA. When I was a little girl I was OBSESSED with that place!
I thought it would be a fun recipe to share with y'all today, so that even people who don't have access to the Buckhead Diner can have this little savory treat.
You can definitely make your own beet chips and potato chips, but honestly I tried making a healthy baked version a few times and between the effort and beet-stained hands ... they just weren't as good and crispy as the fried store bought ones. So I decided to save myself the time and just make the sauce.
Buy the chips. Sometimes it's okay to cheat a little.
I love the red, white, and blue theme of this 4th of July appetizer, but if you're okay with shaking it up with a punch of green, scallions or green onions give a nice kick!
This dish is NOT one for anyone concerned about their breath!
Every year I make a fun patriotic recipe for Independence Day. If you want to see some of my others ( including my SUPER CUTE Healthy Watermelon "Cupcakes" that don't involve any baking at all ), check out this category and pin it for later: Patriotic Recipes.
Red, White, and Blue Cheese Chips
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- 8 cups mixed beet chips and potato chips
- Green Onion optional, garnish
- In a small sauce pan set over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour until it becomes a dry-looking paste.
- Stirring the entire time, slowly pour in the milk, continuing to stir it to mix it into the flour and butter. Cook the mixture for about 2 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in all but 2 Tablespoons of the blue cheese.
- Place the beet and potato chips on a plate. Pour the hot blue cheese sauce on top. Sprinkle the reserved 2 Tablespoons of blue cheese on top of the sauce and chips. Optional: garnish with sliced green onion.