Looking for a way to use up leftover bbq? Or maybe a fun new meal prep idea? These bbq chicken stuffed sweet potatoes fit the bill either way.
I love a stuffed potato, but a stuffed sweet potato is next-level delicious, and healthier than the ol' plain potatoes that are stuffed.
I always always always keep sweet potatoes on hand - they stay good for a long time (in case I don't use them as quickly as I expected), and they can be added to pretty much any dish. I add them to curries, mix them in with roasted veggie plates, spiralize them and toss with a little cream sauce, and more. They're also wonderful on their own.
Stuffing is something I hadn't done until recently though. I got the idea when faced with a plethora of rotisserie chicken. A quick toss in barbecue sauce, top with some shredded cheese, and then cook until the cheese melts and everything is heated through.
It's easy. It's delicious. It reheats amazingly.
A stuffed sweet potato isn't a recipe, it's a method
- Fill the cooked potato with any number of "stuffs"
- Top with cheese
- Bake until heated through
- Broil to brown the cheese
- Repeat with any flavors you'd like!
Other stuffed sweet potato ideas:
- Salsa chicken topped with pepper jack
- Fill with Cowboy Caviar and top with avocado (no baking or broiling required!)
- Sliced steak, sautéed onions, gruyere cheese
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato
- ⅓ cup bbq sauce
- ¾ cup shredded chicken
- 3 sweet potatoes cooked
- 6 tablespoons shredded cheddar
- 1 green onion sliced (optional garnish )
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Mix your favorite bbq sauce with the shredded chicken. Spoon the mixture evenly between three cooked, split sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 400° F for 15 minutes. Turn the broiler onto high, and broil for 3 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and serve.