Crunchy, juicy, perfectly dip-able: Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets are exactly the type of recipe I was hoping to make when I got my PowerXL Air Fryer, and now I make these all the time! They are kid approved, and loved by grownups as well.
Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets Recipe
To jump straight to the recipe, click here:Jump to Recipe
You'll need flour, eggs, breadcrumbs, seasonings, and of course, chicken! I prefer chicken breast for this recipe, but you can use thighs if that's what you prefer.
How do you make chicken nuggets from scratch in the air fryer?
Scroll down for the full recipe, but this is the general algorithm:
- Coat the cut up chicken breast in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs
- Place the chicken in a single layer in the air fryer
- Spray liberally with olive oil
- Cook until browned on the outside and tender on the inside
how long do you cook chicken nuggets in the air fryer?
For a chunk style nugget like this, nuggets that are 1" square will take about 10 minutes. Smaller nuggets should be ready in about 6 minutes.
how do you reheat chicken nuggets in the air fryer?
Got a fridge full of leftover nuggets? Reheat your chicken nuggets in the air fryer by placing them in a single layer in the basket and cooking at 380F for 2 - 4 minutes.
can you freeze air fryer chicken nuggets?
To freeze from raw, follow the directions through Step 3 ( breading ). Once the nuggets are breaded, place them in a single layer on a sheet pan, cover loosely with foil or plastic wrap, and leave them in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
What about cooking air fryer frozen chicken nuggets?
Cooking frozen chicken nuggets in the air fryer is just as easy as cooking fresh - just add a few extra minutes of cooking time.
For a chunky nugget like these, once you've frozen them and are ready to cook them, set the Air Fryer to 380F, place the nuggets in a single layer in the basket, spray with olive oil, and cook for 10 to 14 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
Other Air Fryer Recipes you might like:
Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- 1.3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour I use unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons Salt (table salt or other fine grain salt)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs unseasoned
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1.5 teaspoons Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- olive oil spray
- Cut the chicken into large nuggets - roughly 1" cubes.
- Set up your breading station with three bags or containers.Bag 1: Combine the 1 cup of flour and 1 teaspoon of saltBag 2: Two beaten eggsBag 3: Combine 1 cup breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1.5 teaspoons paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Put all of the cubed chicken pieces into the flour and shake or stir to coat each piece thoroughly.Shake off the excess flour, and place all of the chicken pieces into the beaten egg, and shake or stir to coat.One at a time, gently shake off any excess egg from each flour and egg coated chicken piece, and drop it into the bread crumb mixture. Once all are transferred into the breadcrumb mixture, shake or stir the pieces until they are thoroughly coated with the breadcrumbs.
- Place nuggets in a single layer in the air fryer basket. I cooked mine in batches to prevent crowding. Thoroughly coat the top of the nuggets with olive oil spray. Cook at 400°F for 6 minutes. Flip the nuggets, and cook for 3-4 minutes more.Smaller nuggest may be ready after the first 6 minutes. Nuggets that are the full 1" size as recommended in this recipe will take the complete 10 min cooking time for optimum crisp and cook through.