This blast from the past cocktail has been updated for modern times and is better than ever! Frothy and perfectly balanced it's the perfect aperitif or after dinner drink.
Servings: 1 cocktail
- 1.5 ounces vodka use a good quality vodka like Grey Goose
- .5 ounces Hoodoo chicory liquor. if you cannot find it, feel free to substitute with your favorite coffee liquor
- 1 ounce espresso freshly brewed
- .5 ounces brown sugar simple syrup recipe in Notes
- ice cubes enough to fill shaker
- 3 beans espresso beans garnish, optional but lovely
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour all ingredients over the ice. Place the lid securely on the shaker and shake vigorously to combine.
Strain the ingredients into a cocktail glass, coupe, or Nick and Nora glass. Garnish with three coffee beans.
To make Brown Sugar Simple Syrup:
Combine equal parts brown sugar and boiling water. Stir until the sugar dissolves completely. Allow to cool before using.
For this recipe, I usually make a tiny batch of 2 tablespoons boiling water and 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar.
Feel free to substitute vodka for your favorite coffee or espresso vodka.
If you don't have access to fresh espresso coffee, you can use cold espresso brought home from a coffee shop, very very strongly brewed coffee from a regular coffee machine or french press, or cold brew concentrate. None of these will yield the same frothiness as freshly brewed espresso, but the flavor will still be wonderful.