Butter Lettuce Salad
A simple, healthy, French-inspired Butter Lettuce Salad is a wonderful addition to any meal.
Servings: 4 people
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces haricot vert or thin green beans trimmed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 quarts water
- ice bath large bowl filled with ice water
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 watermelon radish sliced very thinly
- 4 red radishes sliced thinly
- 8-10 chives thinly sliced
- flake salt for garnish
Bring a large pot filled with 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt and 8 ounces green beans. Boil for 3 minutes. Drain and add green beans to the ice bath. Leave in ice bath while preparing the rest of the salad.
In a large bowl, combine the 2 Tablespoons minced shallot, 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard, ½ cup white wine vinegar, and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. While steadily whisking, pour the olive oil into the bowl. Stopping occasionally to make sure it is all combining with the dressing before adding more oil.
On a large platter, layer whole leaves of butter lettuce with drained blanched green beans, sliced radishes, and a drizzle of vinaigrette. You will not use all of the vinaigrette! Only dress to your taste. Top with finely sliced chives.