Company-Worthy Slow Cooker Beef Stew
A rich, thick-sauced beef stew good enough to serve to dinner guests!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 1/2 - 3 lb beef chuck roast cut into 1" chunks, fat trimmed off.
- 8 ounces mushrooms quartered
- 8 carrots peeled and roughly cut ( approx 3/4" pieces )
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and roughly chopped ( approx 3/4" pieces )
- 2 small onions roughly chopped ( approx 3/4" pieces )
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- 1 Tablespoon dried rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
In a large bowl, combine the flour,salt, and thyme. Toss the beef chunks in the flour to thoroughly coat the beef.
Add the olive oil to a large pan set over medium heat, and brown the beef in batches. As each batch is finished browning, throw it in the slow cooker. Once the last batch has been browned and moved to the slow cooker, sprinkle the remaining flour mix on top of all the meat.
Add 2 cups of the beef broth to the pan you browned the meat in, and use a spatula to scrape up any bits and pieces left after the browning, and mix it into the beef broth. ( This is called deglazing the pan. )
Layer all of the remaining ingredients in the slow cooker, in the following order: meat (should already be on the bottom), potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, spices, and pour the liquids over the top last.
Cover and cook on high 6 hours. For the last hour of cooking, leave the heat on high high and take the lid off the crock pot.