Nothing goes with hot wings, carrots and celery, or a crisp wedge of iceberg lettuce like good, old fashioned Blue Cheese Dressing - and what I've got for you here is absolutely the best blue cheese dressing recipe you're going to find on the internet.
Ingredients for Blue Cheese Dressing
One of my first secrets to making the best blue cheese dressing at home is to use buttermilk! Yes, buttermilk! And don't worry, if you have any leftover, you're gonna want to go ahead and make my famous Coconut Buttermilk Pie ( bonus: The video on that post is hilarious and not at all like a normal recipe video! )
- Buttermilk ( low fat is fine )
- Greek Yogurt
- Light Mayonnaise
- Blue Cheese ( or Gorgonzola )
- Cider Vinegar
- Garlic Powder
- Sugar ( optional - it's still wonderful without it, but just a pinch is delightful as well )
How to make the best blue cheese dressing
Using buttermilk is key - but I also think the cider vinegar is my "secret ingredient" that makes it special. To make the best of the best, let it sit over night in the fridge to really get those flavors going!
How long does blue cheese dressing keep in the fridge?
This buttermilk blue cheese dressing will keep for up to 1 week in the fridge in a tightly sealed container.
Can you freeze blue cheese dressing?
No. In general, dairy does not freeze well. In particular, dairy based salad dressings REALLY don't freeze well.
Is blue cheese dressing healthy?
Look, I'm not a doctor or anyone else even remotely qualified to say what works or will not work for you personally... BUT I will say that this recipe does use some lightened up versions of the classic blue cheese dressings you might find out in the wild, and although I won't comment on if it is empirically healthy or not, I will say that it is healthier than the usual suspects.
If you like Blue Cheese Dressing, you might also like these recipes:
- Air Fryer Hot Wings
- Bacon Wrapped Pimento Cheese Jalapeno Poppers
- Everything Puff Pastry Pigs in a Blanket
The BEST Blue Cheese Dressing
- ½ cup Buttermilk low fat is fine
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt
- ⅓ cup Light Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Sugar optional - it's still wonderful without it, but I do prefer just a pinch in this dressing
- 5 ounces Blue Cheese or Gorgonzola
- In a mason jar, combine all ingredients except for blue cheese. Stir vigorously to combine. Stir in blue cheese.