This sweet potato casserole recipe is one of the absolute BEST of the Southern Side Dishes! In this post, I've added everything you need to know about how to make the best sweet potato casserole, including how to add a pecan streusel, that famous marshmallow topping, a combination of both, plus how to make sweet potato casserole in advance, how long it keeps in the fridge, and more!
What is sweet potato casserole?
Sweet Potato Casserole is a mixture of mashed sweet potatoes, butter, and sugar that is often topped with marshmallows or has a crunchy pecan topping.
I like both! So my recipe has a little of each.
What are the ingredients for sweet potato casserole?
The base needs the following items:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Optionally, nutmeg
Then, if you'd like to add a topping ( HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and oh so delicious ), you can pick from one of the following:
- Nothing fancy here, just toss some mini marshmallows on top of the casserole and bake
Ingredients for Crunchy Pecan Topping
- Brown Sugar
Can I mix the pecan topping and the marshmallows?
YES! And it is my absolute favorite. Simply scatter the marshmallows over the top of the sweet potato mixture, and then scatter the pecan streusel topping on top of that and bake.
How to cook sweet potatoes in the Oven
Preheat the oven to 425°F, and then throw the sweet potatoes in it on a foil lined pan. The foil makes cleanup MUCH easier, as the sweet potatoes will drool a little bit as they cook.
You can prick them with a fork before cooking, but in my experience it doesn't make a difference when preparing the potatoes for the casserole, so I figure the less stabbing, the better.
If you don't want to wait to cook the sweet potatoes in the oven, you can use the microwave. Check out my super-easy method for microwaving sweet potatoes here: How to microwave a sweet potato
Can you make a healthy sweet potato casserole?
Sure! You can easily alter this Thanksgiving-worth decadent version to be lightened up. Cut the butter, marshmallows, and pecan streusel quantities in half, and make the recipe as instructed. You'll have a less rich version, but it will still be delicious with all the traditional flavors you love ( and way fewer calories! )
Can you make sweet potato casserole in advance?
Yep! In fact, you can assemble everything for the sweet potato casserole in advance, leaving off the topping, cover it tightly, and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days before topping the casserole and then baking it per the regular instructions ( no need to increase cooking time. )
You can also freeze sweet potato casserole!
How to freeze sweet potato casserole
To freeze sweet potato casserole, prepare it just as you would normally, but do not top it with anything or bake it. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then in foil. Place the (freezer-safe) wrapped casserole dish into the freezer for up to 2 months. Talk about a great make-ahead holiday side dish!
The day before you'd like to serve it, remove it from the oven and place it in the fridge to defrost over night. Then add the toppings and bake it as usual.
How long is sweet potato casserole good in the fridge?
3- 5 days, covered tightly with plastic wrap or in an airtight container.
Other Southern Side Dishes You Might Love:
Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Mixture
- 6 cups cooked, peeled, mashed sweet potatoes about 4 large or 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg optional
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 Quart Baking Dish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the Sweet Potato Mixture.Spread the mixture in a greased 3 quart baking dish ( or 9x12 baking dish, which is 3 qts )
- In a medium bowl, combine the ingredients for the pecan streusel together with a fork. This might take a little while to do, but keep pressing everything together with the fork until it all combines into large, flakey bits with pecans in them.
- Top the sweet potato mixture with the marshmallows, then scatter the pecan mixture on top of that, careful not to break up the chunks of streusel too much as you scatter.
- Bake for 25 min until golden brown on top.