Delicious, easy slow cooker beef barbacoa cooks all day while you work or lounge or whatever, and it's ready for you at dinner time with tons of flavor and almost no effort.
I have been on a mission to learn how to use my slow cooker to make delicious food that doesn't have that "slow cooker" taste. My first success at this was my Company-Worthy Slow Cooker Beef Stew, and as much as I love it, beef stew just isn't a "Summer" meal for me.
One of the major benefits of using a Crock Pot ( slow cooker, whatever ), is that it doesn't turn my 1960's Split-Level home into a walk-in oven like my second-floor kitchen does.
Yep, the main kitchen is on the second story of my house. Efficient. So, if it's hot enough to want to avoid heating up my whole house, it's just too hot to be eating stick-to-your-ribs stew!
Cue barbacoa: delicious, juicy shredded meat stewed down in a flavorful, spicy sauce. I know, I know; it doesn't sound particularly light, but barbacoa is not a meal: it's a meat.
Delicious, delicious meat.
Make this on a Monday, and have tacos on Fresh, Homemade Corn Tortillas, with chopped onions and tomatoes, topped with shredded lettuce that night. Tuesday, make burrito bowls with all of your favorite toppings. Wednesday, make crisp taco salads with the leftover burrito bowl ingredients. If there's anything left on Thursday, whip up some quesadillas, with an avocado salad on the side.
BOOM. One crock pot. Five minutes of prep. Almost a week of delicious, easy (oven-free!) meals. You really can't beat it!
Slow Cooker Barbacoa
- 2.5 to 3 lb chuck roast cut into 2-inch chunks
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 small onion finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice about 3 limes of juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup beer
- Put all of the ingredients, except for the beer, into the crockpot.
- Toss to coat.
- Pour beer on top of everything.
- Put the lid on the crockpot, set to low, and cook for approximately 7 to 8 hours.
- Shred the meat, and leave in the crockpot for at least 15 minutes, or until ready to serve. I left mine shredded in the pot with the cooker set on "warm" for almost an hour and a half and it was still delicious.
pg slot says
Autumn Moneypenny says
This never disappoints! It's delicious every time I make it! I made it as a main dish for my daughter's graduation party and it was a huge hit! Thank you for the recipe!
Blanca Gallo says
I’m a good cook always trying different recipes so I really know what I’m talking about, this recipe so far the best barbacoa I’ve cooked. Also super easy to make. My husband is a tough critic and loved it !!!!
This is a delicious dish, one my family favorites!!! We just have ours over white cilantro lime rice and pinto beans. Thank you for the most authentic Barbacoa recipe I’ve found!!!
What if I need to make 10 pounds? Can I double the ingredients? Or triple?
As long as you have a slow cooker that will fit all of that, you can. Be sure to extend the cooking time as well for larger cuts of meat