You know the free chips and salsa you get at the Mexican restaurant? It's time to make it at home. This Mexican salsa recipe was shared with me yearssssss ago by a friend who owned a Mexican Restaurant, and shared the secret of why my salsa at home was never as good as hers in the restaurant...
Are you ready for this?
It's because I was using fresh ingredients.
Yep, that's right. 100% FRESH ingredients are NOT the way to go if you want to make the best restaurant style salsa at home.
So you're looking at the picture above of all the ingredients. And you're thinking ... but there ARE fresh ingredients there, Marianne!
You're right. But I was using KEY fresh ingredients that should have been canned. Specifically, fresh tomatoes and jalapeños.
But we're all in luck, because using two canned ingredients makes this a breeze to make whenever you're in the mood for salsa.
Just throw everything in a small food processor, put it in good ol' fashioned sanitized Ball jars, and keep in the fridge for up to a month.
By the way, if you are in the market, this is my food processor, and I LOVE it: Marianne's Favorite Small Food Processor
We almost always keep a jar of this easy homemade salsa in the fridge, ready to go. It's a family favorite, and great for not only dipping with tortilla chips, but also can be used in any recipe that calls for salsa when cooking.
I love Mexican and Text Mex style food and cook it all the time at home. If you'd like to try some of my other Mexican-inspired dishes, be sure to pin these links on Pinterest:
- The BEST Guacamole You'll Ever Have ( no, seriously! )
- Restaurant Style White Queso Dip
- Basil Blueberry Margarita
- Crock Pot Carnitas
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup medium onion chopped
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno slice juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro loosely packed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Process everything in a food processor until the cilantro and garlic are finely diced and it is all combined.
- Serve. Pro Tip: It gets even better the next day!