Crisp-tender grilled asparagus is always a welcome surprise at a backyard bbq. I love serving this healthy grilled vegetable as an alternative to the starchy things you so often find alongside grilled meats.
Recipe for Grilled Asparagus
How to select good asparagus for grilling
When shopping for asparagus, pick medium to large sized stalks that are firm to the touch and do not have any "wet" looking parts on the tips. Jumbo asparagus are great on the grill, but can be woodsy, so make sure to trim them well.
How to Make Grilled Asparagus
- Prep the grill by heating it on high heat and oiling the grates
- Drizzle olive oil and salt to season
- Place the asparagus across the hot oiled grated and cook for 2 minutes
- Flip the grilled asparagus and cook for another 2 minutes on the other side.
A squeeze of lemon over the spears as soon as they come off the grill adds a nice freshness to them, but it's not required.
What to serve with grilled asparagus:
- Grilled Steaks
- Beer-Can Chicken
- Grilled Mushrooms
- Grilled Chicken Breast
If you like this grilled asparagus recipe, you might also like:
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 1 lb medium thickness asparagus
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon sliced
- Heat Grill on high heat.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus and sprinkle the salt on top. Toss to coat.
- Place on the hot grill and grill for 2 minutes, flip, then grill for another 2 minutes.