I've totally been on a pasta kick recently; this one is inspired by the creamy lemon pasta with sausage at an Italian restaurant in my old neighborhood. Over the years I became obsessed with it! So once I moved away, I knew I had to recreate it at home in my own kitchen.
It's funny - before this dish I NEVER would have thought of putting lemon and sausage together in a creamy sauce for pasta. They seem so ... contrary.
But the bright acidity of the lemon balances the weight of the sausage and cream.
It's really almost like a lemon parmesan cream sauce, except the sauce isn't quite so heavy as a full Alfredo would be. Or maybe that's just what I'm telling myself because lemon tastes so bright and healthy.
Other easy pasta dishes you might love:
Creamy Lemon Pasta with Sausage and Peas
- 8 ounces bucatini or other sauce-grabbing pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 links mild Italian sausage casings removed
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Add pasta to boiling water. Cook according to directions, adding the peas for the last four minutes of cooking time.
- Brown the sausage over medium high heat, breaking up larger chunks as it cooks.
- Add the cream and the nutmeg. Stir to combine. Let the sausage/cream/nutmeg mix come to a simmer, then turn off the heat. Add the lemon juice, stir to combine. Stir in the parmesan cheese
- Drain pasta and peas, add to the pan and toss to coat with the sauce.