Remember a few weeks ago when I showed you guys my Creamy Cauliflower Sauce? Well, you already know that it's amazing on pasta, but it makes a great creamy base for other dishes, too. One of my favorite things to make with it is these Chicken Poblano Burritos. Bonus: it's another great recipe using boneless, skinless chicken breasts!
This recipe looks like it's pretty intense, but don't let the long ingredient list scare you off! I usually roast the poblanos while I gather everything else and slice the chicken, so that I can peel the skin from the poblanos and chop them up while the chicken is cooking.
If you've never roasted peppers before, it's super easy, and the flavor and texture you get out of them is totally worth the extra (minimal!) time for roasting. Epicurious has a How-To here that is really simple: How to Roast Peppers. You should know that the heat in poblanos can be a little unpredictable, and if you are sensitive to spicy foods, this might not be the recipe for you, because this dish is HOT! The heat from the poblanos can be mitigated by removing the white "ribs" from inside the peppers after roasting, and rinsing the seeds out of the pepper. The chipotles are pretty spicy, too, but that's one of the things I love about this dish: the spicy chipotle peppers mixed with the cooling, creamy cauliflower sauce.
Chicken Poblano Burritos with Creamy Chipotle Cauliflower Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Corn Kernels
- 1 cup canned Black Beans rinsed
- 1 Poblano roasted and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Canola or similar heat-tolerant i.e. non-olive type of Oil
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts thinly sliced ( about 1/4" thick, but don't worry about being super precise )
- 1 1/2 cups Creamy Cauliflower Sauce
- 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- 1 Chipotle Chile in Adobo Sauce canned, found in the Mexican section of the grocery store, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Oil of your choice
- 6 flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- For the Filling: Heat one tablespoon of the oil a large sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Toss the sliced chicken with the remaining tablespoon of oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, pepper, and salt.
- Cook the seasoned chicken for 3 minutes in the hot pan.
- Add the black beans and corn to the pan with the chicken, and cook for approximately 3 more minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of Creamy Cauliflower Sauce and stir to combine.
- Prepare a 2 quart baking dish with either a light oiling or cooking spray.
- For each burrito: Put 1/3 cup of chicken filling into each tortilla, and roll, placing "seam" side down in the pan.
- Bake the burritos for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Make the sauce while the burritos bake!
- For the Sauce: Set a medium sauce pan with 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat. Add the onions and stir until soft. Food bloggers always say this takes 5 minutes. That's a total lie! Onions will be soft in like ... 20 minutes. Sorry. The truth hurts.
- Add the chopped chipotle to the onions in the pan, and stir over medium heat until the pepper becomes fragrant ( somewhere between 2 - 4 minutes )
- Add one cup of cauliflower sauce to the pan, and stir.
- Remove the baked burritos from the oven, and pour the sauce on top. Serve with chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, and diced avocado to fancy it up a bit!