This saucy, flavorful chicken enchilada skillet comes together in a snap with leftover rotisserie chicken, no rolling of enchiladas, and just a few minutes of oven time.
I love all kinds of Mexican and Tex Mex food. Enchiladas are a personal favorite! Some meals are just too much for me to handle after a long day of work though, and making tortillas, softening them in oil, cooking chicken enchilada filling and sauce from scratch, and then doing all that rolling and topping... well, that kind of labor of love is best left for the weekend in my house.
Okay but what if I still want to have the delicious flavors and textures of enchiladas after an impossibly long work day? Chicken enchilada skillet.
So simple. So delicious. So FAST. Plus, only ONE PAN to clean up after.
Grocery list / ingredients for this one pan chicken enchilada skillet:
Note: this recipe is very forgiving. A little more chicken here, a little less enchilada sauce there and it will still turn out great.
- Rotisserie chicken ( you'll need four cups of cut up chicken. You can also use leftover shredded cooked chicken )
- 1 large onion, plus olive oil for cooking it
- 19 ounces Enchilada Sauce
- 4 ounces Roasted Poblanos or other Roasted Green Chiles
- 16 ounces beans ( black or pinto )
- 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning ( I used my homemade taco seasoning recipe but store bought is fine )
- ½ cup Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- 6 - 8 taco-sized corn tortillas
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese (but feel free to measure cheese with your heart)
How to assemble:
- Preheat oven to 375 F. While preheating, in a large, deep skillet sautee onion in olive oil until soft.
- Stir in all ingredients except for cheese.
- Stir in .5 cup of the cheese. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375 F for 18 minutes, then broil on high for 3 - 4 minutes, or until cheese is browned and casserole is bubbly.
I like to top mine with fresh avocado slices, cilantro, and even a few jalapeno slices. It's perfectly delicious without any of that, though.
If you like this one pan chicken enchilada skillet recipe, you might also like these recipes:
Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- 4 cups rotisserie chicken or other cooked, roughly chopped/torn chicken meat
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium size onion, diced
- 19 oz enchilada sauce
- 2 roasted and diced poblano peppers OR 1 4 oz can diced roasted chiles
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning store bought or homemade recipe
- .5 cup sour cream or greek yogurt not 0% fat
- 6 - 8 tortillas cut into 1" strips
- 1.5 cups pepper jack cheese or Mexican Blend
- Deep 12" Skillet
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, sautee onion in oil until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in all other ingredients except for cheese and cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in ½ cup of cheese, then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375 F for 18 minutes. Broil on high for 3 - 4 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly.
Please share your thoughts on this recipe!