A delicious alternative to the classic fat-filled pork breakfast sausage: Chicken Breakfast Sausage, made with 99% lean ground chicken.
Who doesn't love breakfast meats?! Bacon, country ham, sausage... yasssssssss. If I could eat them all every day without dying early, I totally would. Instead of doing without, I came up with a much better solution:
Chicken Breakfast Sausage.
My chicken breakfast sausage recipe has all the herbs and spices from classic pork sausage, but mixed with the super lean ( 99% ) ground chicken instead of greasy pork. Nothing else.
I'll admit, I was worried. I thought they might turn out like little sausage-flavored hockey pucks. I was SO thrilled when I took a bite into one of these little chicken breakfast sausage patties hot off the pan and discovered that they were juicy, just like old-fashioned sausage!
I was so thrilled with the flavor of these little guys and with how absolutely simple they were to make, that I decided to make a video showing you exactly how easy they are!
I mean, or you can just follow the recipe below. Whatever makes you feel good!
Chicken Breakfast Sausage
- 1 lb 99% lean ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- hearty pinch roughly 1/16th teaspoon marjoram
- hearty pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- hearty pinch of cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Stir all ingredients together until combined.
- Set a medium pan over medium heat, and spray it with cooking oil.
- Scoop out sausage directly onto the hot pan -- you may need to work in batches to use all of the sausage mixture. Flatten each scoop. Cook for 4 minutes. Flip. Cook four more minutes.