Last Updated on
Broiled grapefruit with basil is a sweet and tart, healthy, vegan breakfast or brunch that is ready in under ten minutes. You’ll love how easy it is to have this gourmet morning treat at home.
I love love love grapefruit. Grapefruit juice, candy, cocktails. Grapefruit ALL THE THINGS, as far as I’m concerned. Splitting a grapefruit in half and eating it with its special little spoon over my kitchen sink while waiting for the coffee to brew is a commonplace Saturday Morning activity in my house.
Some days you just have to take it to the next level, though.
Some days I feel a little fancier than others.
On those days, I sprinkle a little sugar on top of my grapefruit and broil it. I love how the little wedges rise up from the fruit, just waiting to be plucked out with a spoon or a fork.
I also love the flavor and mouthfeel of the warm grapefruit. I didn’t think I would. I bet you are thinking you probably won’t either, but you should give it a try. It’s delightful.
Topping it off with a little basil balances the tart and sweet. It makes me wish this were a cocktail. Perhaps next time I’ll pour a little elderflower liqueur over the top of my grapefruit before I broil it, too. If you try this, I’d love to know how it turns out. The liqueur can be our little secret.
What other ways to you love to use grapefruit?
Broiled Grapefruit with Basil
- 1 grapefruit cut in half, seeds removed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 leaves fresh basil sliced thinly
- Using a small knife, loosen each segment of grapefruit by running the knife between the flesh of the fruit and the pith ( white part that is between the peel and the flesh ), and also run the knife along each side of the "pie piece" of fruit flesh.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of sugar over each grapefruit half.
- Broil on High for 5 - 8 minutes ( or until the edges of the grapefruit begin to brown ).
- Serve topped with sliced basil.