Coming at you with another one of my favorite low carb spaghetti squash recipes: Cheesy Baked Spaghetti Squash with Marinara and Meatballs.
This recipe comes together in a snap with the help of pre-made meatballs ( or you can use leftovers from my turkey meatball recipe ) and sauce - two items I keep on hand at all times in case I need an "emergency" dinner.
This marinara baked spaghetti squash doesn't taste like a last-minute throw together meat at all though. It's got the flavors of your favorite spaghetti and meatballs dish, plus the addition of a layer of mozzarella cheese makes it a hearty dinner that will satisfy even the most fervent of carb-aholics.
The method is simple:
- Cook the spaghetti squash just enough to shred it ( you can do this in the oven or the microwave )
- Shred up the strands, and top with marinara then cooked ( or frozen ) meatballs.
- Top with freshly grated mozzarella cheese and bake!
If you want a little green in here, you could even mix in some fresh chopped spinach before you top with marinara. Sometimes I like to sneak a little spinach into places.
To get a really fabulous brown top, make sure to let these cheesy spaghetti squash boats broil for a few minutes. Watch them like a hawk to make sure you get "brown" and not "charred" though!
Don't forget to sign up for my newsletter if you love this recipe. I only send out ONE email a week, and will never, ever spam you or share your email with anyone.
If you like the baked spaghetti squash with meatballs recipe, you might also like these:
- Creamy Pesto and Spinach Spaghetti Squash
- Keto Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken
- Rosemary Skillet Chicken Breasts
Baked Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs
- 6 meatballs - precooked
- 1 medium to large spaghetti squash
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese freshly shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.Soften the spaghetti squash by carefully poking it several times with a knife and microwaving it for approximately 4 minutes. Once it is cool enough to handle, remove it from the microwave and cut it in half. Remove any seeds inside.
- Place the squash pieces, cut side down, on an oiled pan. Bake for approximately 30 - 45 minutes, or until the squash is soft enough to scrape into "spaghetti" strands. Once it is soft, use a fork to scrape the strands off of the side of the squash, but leave them inside the squash like a bowl.
- For each cut side of the squash: top the newly made spaghetti strands with marinara, meatballs, and cheese. Bake at 425° F for 20 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil, and broil until the cheese just starts to brown.