Welcome to one of the easiest ways to make one of the most underrated cuts of meat out there: the humble but delicious chicken leg quarter. Often overlooked for the thigh or breast, the quarter has a hearty amount of meat and when baked has deliciously crispy skin, with a super tender and moist interior.
How to bake chicken quarters
Okay - so what's the key to getting that crispy skin and super juicy, flavorful meat?
- Higher heat than you expected (425F to be precise)
- A chicken rub that's packed full of flavor
- Don't over bake (sayonara 1+ hour cook times)
How long does it take for leg quarters to bake in the oven?
Most recipes have you bake quarters at 375F or even lower for over an hour, but for crispy chicken leg quarters, cook them at a higher temperature and shorter time! 425F for about 45 minutes will give you crispy skin and tender meat.
Some side dishes that go great with chicken quarters:
Baked Chicken Quarters
Chicken quarters baked in the oven are easy, economical, oh-so-tender and juicy, and nearly hands-off! Recipe from basilandbubbly.comPrint Pin Rate
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Thyme Leaves
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Pat the chicken quarters dry and trim off any excess fat pieces, leaving the skin intact. Combine all of the spices in a small bowl and rub them all over (top, bottom, sides) of the chicken. Place the chicken on a sheet pan and spray with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Bake at 425°F for 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F.
Tried this recipe?Mention @basilandbubbly or tag #basilandbubbly!
Absolutely love this quick and easy recipe. I used smoked paprika instead of the regular. Everyone loved it!! Will definitely try this recipe again.
Absolutely loved it! I shop at a local farm that has humanly pasture raised chickens and the leg quarters are in my budget (also thighs and drumsticks) but the leg quarters are what I picked up last time, they turned out perfect! Love the seasoning mix and the method of cooking, just perfect! Thank you so much! Looking forward to using this recipe going forward 🙂
Rick davis says
This recipe for leg quarters was fantastic! Thank you!
Ad hater says
Ads are super annoying. Chill out.
Perhaps you'd like them to make the recipes for free? I don't like ads either but content is not free. I'm more than willing to help support great recipe sites such as this. Which, to the bigger point... this is a great recipe. We love them! We like to add a bit of rosemary too.
Just made this tonight and turned out amazing! Maybe I'll add some rosemary too next time 🙂