Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Blue Cheese: the low carb chicken dinner you've been waiting for.
This stuffed chicken recipe appears way fancier than it really is - which I always find to be such a fun way to cook. It uses the same method as my Spinach Stuffed Chicken: slice chicken breast in half, sear on one side, flip, and bake to perfection.
Instead of a mixed filling, this uses stalks of asparagus and a blue cheese mixture that partially melts out of the chicken and into the pan to make a delicious, creamy sauce that is spooned over the meat before serving.
So really, the pressure is off on this one. Don't worry about making that picture perfect stuffed chicken breast. It's okay if this one is a little messy - because SOME of it is going to melt out anyway.
And you want that!
As for the asparagus, you want to find a middle ground here. Pencil thin stalks are going to cook too quickly, and the massive steakhouse style spears won't cook through! If there's such a thing as a "standard" asparagus, go with that.
Let the pictures be your guide here - three spears should fit perfectly into one breast.
Pro-tip: Unlike my other stuffed chicken breast recipes, you are going to want to use toothpicks to keep the chicken closed on this one, otherwise it is way too easy for those perfectly selected asparagus spears to fall out of the chicken!
If you love this stuffed chicken dish, you might also love these chicken dinner recipes:
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup blue cheese
- 3 chicken breasts
- 9 asparagus stalks
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts toasted. for topping
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Mix together the blue cheese and the cream cheese in a small bowl.
- Carefully slice a flap into each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Inside each breast, smear ⅓rd of the cheese mixture, and then place 3 asparagus spears on top. Fold over the top of the sliced chicken breast and secure with toothpicks.
- Set a large pan over medium high heat. Add the oil and let it heat up. Place the chicken top side down in the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the chicken in the pan, and immediately place it into the hot oven.
- Bake in 450° oven for 15 min. Immediately top with walnuts and serve.